Tag Archives: contributors

Sell Stock Music and Sound Effects on Your Own Site

Now you can turn any webpage into your own personal royalty free stock media store, complete with production music, sound effects and audio, stock footage, and stock photos, thanks to our brand new remote store widgets. While setting up your own remote store widget it super simple, we’ve put together a short tutorial of how to get up and running in a matter of minutes.

admin menuStep 1: Log in to your Productiontrax contributor account, and click on the “Remote Store Widget” link in the main menu bar on the left side of the page. Don’t have an account? Create one — it’s simple and it’s free. From there, click the link to create a new widget, or select one from your widget list if you already have one set up.

Step 2: Once you’re in the widget editor, add a catchy title and tag line using the editor options on the right hand side, and select the contributor logo image you want to use on your widget. As soon as you make changes, your changes will save, and the widget will update automatically.

search filtersWe’ve added some display filters to the widgets that make them uber-useful for any contributor. First, you’ll notice a menu that allows you to either show media from just your account or show media from all of Productiontrax. The former will come in useful for those wanting to sell just their own stock audio files, while the latter option is great for leveraging the entire Productiontrax royalty free library, essentially creating a complete copy of the library on your site. You’ll also notice that you can specify which kinds of media to display in your widget – either royalty free music, sound effects, stock photos, or stock footage. You can select one, all, none, or any combination in between.

When designing your widget, remember that you can create as many widgets as you like, and put them on as many websites as you like. So, you might want to create a separate widget for your stock music and sound effects (or one for each), one for your stock footage, and a separate one for your stock photos. Figure out if multiple stores works best for your media, and if so, set your filters accordingly.

darkhive skinStep 3: Select your colors and theme out your widget to match your website. In most cases, you’ll need to use our color pickers or you’ll have to know the hex color codes to match your website’s look. Our editor allows for both, and we have some pre-styled buttons to match. Here’s where you can take a little shortcut, and use one of our pre-set themes (check out the dark hive theme at right). Using these themes are what we like to call inline style overrides — so any changes you make to your widget’s colors will be changed at launch time when a visitor happens on your your site. To use a style override, just scroll to the bottom of the editor, and pick the style you like.

checkoutStep 4: Get your code and paste it in to your website’s HTML. We provide the code you need to display your widget on your website seamlessly. And it’s a single line of simple HTML. Simply copy and paste from the code box at the top of the editor (or from the selected inline style override panel at the bottom, if you’re using one of those. Then launch your website, and bask in the glory that is your remote store widget.

Some features to note:

All credit card processing AND file downloading is done via SSL right in the widget. Your visitor never leave your site for any part of a transaction. The widget is a fully-featured track preview, shopping cart, checkout and download tool. We recommend strongly that you use HTTPS on your site, and an HTTPS connection is required in the widget’s src attribute.
• The widget is stretchy horizonatlly. It will expand to fill the space if you change the widget’s width attribute in the HTML code. The widget will not change height at this time.
• As of this writing, video playback may not work on all browsers due to a browser security restriction. We’re working on this, but the widget plays video on most browsers to a barebones extent.

Production Music Pick of the Week – Pop Boutique

This week, our production music pick comes from Leigh Haggerwood. The track is Pop Boutique, Music ID 35443. An excellent track for television shows and game shows — this piece of music is really four production music tracks in one, and contains all you need to splice together a perfect sountrack for your next video or film project.

This vibrant, upbeat, and lively track contains 1 x 30 second theme with vocals, 2 x 1 minute underscores without vocals and a vocal stinger. Get it today here: http://www.productiontrax.com/royalty-free-music/35443

Translations: Royalty Free Stock Music in Your Native Language

Productiontrax.com provides royalty free music and sound effects, stock footage, and stock photos to a wide client base spanning the globe, with content created and uploaded by thousands of contributors from virtually every country on the planet. With such an international community dedicated to stock media and video production, we knew it was time to make it possible for everyone to browse our huge production music library in their very own language.

From French to Japanese, Spanish to Arabic, we’ve got the world’s major languages covered, thanks to the nifty translate tool at the bottom of the page. Just scroll to the bottom of the main Productiontrax.com site, select your favorite language from the menu, and watch as the translations happen before your very eyes. Every subsequent page you visit on Productiontrax will be presented in the language you selected, making it easy to understand and find the royalty free music and stock audio files you’re looking for.

Here’s our brief little video tutorial:

W8BEN – Royalties for international stock music contributors

For non-US residents (called non-resident aliens), there’s a bit of good ‘ole USA bureaucracy involved in getting paid all, or as much of your royalties as allowed, under US Tax law from your stock music and sound effects sales.

First, all royalty payments are subject to 30% tax withholding. This means that from the royalties we pay you, we have to deduct and remit 30% of your royalty earnings to the IRS. Sucks for you, and it’s a lot of work for us. However, there are Tax Treaties in place between the US and most countries that allow for a reduced withholding rate. In many cases, the Tax Treaty benefit is a 0% withholding rate. (P.S. We’re not making this up. Check out this awesome post by Amazon.com on the same topic: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A1VDYJ32T5D3U4 — if you don’t believe us, this is what a larger company with many more lawyers and accountants has to say.)

But to get this reduced rate, you have to claim it by filing some paperwork with Productiontrax, and the US Government.

Here’s how you do it:

1) Apply for a US ITIN. (Note: If you already have an EIN, SSN, or ITIN, skip this step.) A US International Tax ID number is required to claim tax treaty benefits. You do this by filling out Form W-7. Be sure to follow the instructions. For our purposes, make sure you check box a and box h, and quote Exception 1(d) – Royalties. You will also need to enclose a letter from us – you can email us for a copy. Send that completed form and supporting evidence to the address on the instructions. In about 6 weeks or less, you will receive your ID number in the mail.

UPDATE: We’ve learned that the IRS requires an original letter from us. Please email us to have a letter mailed to you.

2) Fill out Form W8-BEN. (Instructions: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw8ben.pdf) This form certifies to Productiontrax.com that you are a foreign person claiming a tax treaty benefit. Be sure to complete part 10, enter your new EIN, SSN, or ITIN on line 6, and don’t forget to sign the form. And for goodness sake, don’t check the box in Part III — it doesn’t apply to you (wikipedia it if you don’t believe me). You send this completed form to Productiontrax.com.

3) If you’re not an individual, get an Employer Identification Number
Foreign entities that are not individuals (i.e., foreign corporations, etc.) that are required to have a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) in order to claim an exemption from withholding because of a tax treaty (claimed on Form W-8BEN) should submit Form SS-4 Application for Employer Identification Number to the Internal Revenue Service in order to apply for such an EIN. Those foreign entities filing Form SS-4 for the purpose of obtaining an EIN in order to claim a tax treaty exemption and which otherwise have no requirements to file a U.S. income tax return, employment tax return, or excise tax return, should comply with the following special instructions when filling out Form SS-4.

When completing line 7b of Form SS-4, the applicant should write “N/A” in the block asking for an SSN or ITIN, unless the applicant already has an SSN or ITIN. When answering question 10 on Form SS-4, the applicant should check the “other” block and write or type in immediately after it one of the following phrases as most appropriate:

“For W-8BEN Purposes Only”
“For Tax Treaty Purposes Only”

If questions 11 through 17 on Form SS-4 do not apply to the applicant because he has no U.S. tax return filing requirement, such questions should be annotated “N/A”. A foreign entity that completes Form SS-4 in the manner described above should be entered into IRS records as not having a filing requirement for any U.S. tax returns. However, if the foreign entity receives a letter from the IRS soliciting the filing of a U.S. tax return, the foreign entity should respond to the letter immediately by stating that it has no requirement to file any U.S. tax returns. Failure to respond to the IRS letter may result in a procedural assessment of tax by the IRS against the foreign entity. If the foreign entity later becomes liable to file a U.S. tax return, the foreign entity should not apply for a new EIN, but should instead use the EIN it was first issued on all U.S. tax returns filed thereafter.

Here are the forms again:

Find your withholding rate (copyright royalties): Tax Treaties by Country

Form W7 – Application for US TIN. (instructions)
Form W8-BEN – Foreign Person Claim of Tax Treaty Benefits (instructions)
Form SS-4 – Application for an Employer ID Number. (instructions)